Now, I prepped my meat the day before because I want to make sure the rubs get into the meat nicely (and I don’t like to rush).
Here’s what I used.
- 500g Pork Belly
- Air Fryer
- Meat Spikes
For Dry Rub:
- 5 teaspoon Five Spice Powder
- 1 teaspoon White Pepper
- 1 stalk of Rosemary
For the Pork Skin only:
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Juice from 1/2 a lemon
- Wash the slab of meat under running water and pat dry with kitchen
disposable paper. Place on Steamer Rack while you prepare the next step.
- Boil a pot of water and blanch the Pork Belly for approx. 15minutes.
- Placed on Steamer Rack again and pat dry with Kitchen paper. Allow
it to be air dried in the open for about 4 hours. Remember to put a
Satellite Dish Cover over it to avoid flies attacking the meat while you
go about doing other things.
- Use the Meat Spikes to jab at the pork skin liberally. I didn’t
poke enough holes on the skin so it gets a bit too crispy for some
family members. Turn the Pork upside down and slice cross sections onto
the meat but don’t slice too deep. This is just to help with dry rub get
deeper into the meat. This is the best time for you to imagine your
enemy on the meat and start jabbing it! (kidding)
- Apply the dry rub onto the meat, I placed quite a lot on mine, including the sides.
- Turn the Pork Belly Skin side up, apply salt onto it, I didn’t put
a lot of salt on mine as I was making on that is less salty compared to
the usual salty version. Rub the salt onto the skin along with the
lime. For those who wish to make the salty version, coat the skin with a
layer of salt (the salt work its way into the fat while absorbing
moisture out during the cooking process.)
- Placed pork into Fridge (not the freezer) for overnight. Take out
30minutes before you plan to cook so that the meat can rest a bit.
- Pre-Heat the airfryer at 160 degrees for 5 minutes, then place the pork belly in to cook for 30 minutes!
- After the 30 minutes, for those of you who cooked the pork with a
layer of salt, remove the pork from the airfryer so you can remove the
layer of salt from the top of the meat. Next, turn up the temperature to
180 degrees and continue airfrying for 25 minutes.
- Once the airfryer is done with it’s duty, turn off the power, remove the roasted pork from the tray and place on the steamer rack again to allow it to rest before cutting.
There you have it, simple steps to make your own homemade Roast Pork. Slice, decorate and serve. I made 2 version but the one you see above is the one with less salt on it.
For those who wish to have less salt on their dish, you can try it the way I explained and for those who wish to have a bit more authentic version of Roast Pork, you can follow Step 6 but follow the steps for the salty version.
Enjoy and hope you are successful in creating your Roast Pork Masterpiece. Do share with me on your results! If you have other ways or tips, do share with me too!