Before I go on, I must admit that I was never a fan of oysters until 2011 because up until then, most of the oysters I tried does not have any flavors and taste pretty much the same. Then I met a chef that taught me to make Guinness Cream that basically helps mask the smell that I don't like and add flavors to the oysters that is pretty much tasteless.
Guinness and oysters is a match made in heaven, and this dish is all about creaminess and the contraste of temperatures. The cold creaminess of the oyster matched with the warm creaminess of the Guinness cream. Here's how we made it.
Ingredients for Guinness Cream
- 6 egg yolks
- 100ml Guinness (I uses Foreign Exta for stronger flavor)
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1/2 tablespoon Worchestershire sauce
1. Over a warm double boiler, whisk the egg yolks, salt and Worchestershire sauce until creamy.
2. Add 100ml of Guinness in slowly and continue whisk until thick and creamy.
3. Serve with 6 oyster with lemon wedges and finely chopped chives.
Yup, it is as simple as that and I have to say that I've never looked back. Of course, knowing friends that knows how to appreciate Oysters also taught me a bit more on how to enjoy the flavor, the taste and the type of oysters that is available from around the world.
Give it a try, and let me know how your Guinness cream turns out.